Black Co: A profitable Alberta Newspaper
What they do – the short version:
- BlackCo News reports and comments on the local doings of their readers
- They are the source of local news in their community.
- The firm enjoys excellent support from their local business community.
- The Seller reports, manages and writes a continuing commentary.
- Other staff concentrate on sales, administration and distribution.
- Printing is done by an off-site firm.
Three years’ complete financials are available to qualified buyers and an up to date equipment list.
There is not yet a formalized policy and procedures manual but the seller is willing to stay on for a period to help the new owners.
Printing is outsourced and delivered to the community once printed.
They are well situated with great access and parking for customers, shippers and folks with news tips. This closeness ‘to the action’ gives them a competitive advantage.
There’s a year left on the current lease and an acceptable lease arrangement with the landlord could be a term in your offer.
There are 5 employees including two ‘key men’. More staff would be needed to expand the publication.
Their business is fairly balanced through out the year.
BlackCo works with cameras and computers. A new buyer would need to be comfortable with both.
Their continuing staff has the strengths to keep their equipment running.
The current owner has assumed the bookkeeping (Simply Accounting) and admin role.
This firm is the local source of information for their location so is used be virtually everyone in the community. They also have their own excellent web site well used by the community.
Advertisers are local businesses, government agencies and some national firms.
Three years of financial statements and a complete equipment list is available for qualified buyers.
Interested? Next steps:
1. Fax / scan the non-disclosure document
2. Phone discussion
3. Release of financial information
4. Meeting with seller and tour of premises
5. Discussions that may lead to a deal
The information on contained in this document has been provided from sources believed to be reliable. You must seek independent verification of these facts through due diligence before taking any action based on this information.